4.06.2013

project life // week 10


week 10 // so week 10 started off with a bang when i went into labor unexpectedly early! i document my weeks in project life from sunday through saturday and since i went into labor around midnight on a sunday night (with mila arriving by 4 a.m.), this week is all about her.


the photos // i gave birth on the floor of our smallest bathroom, totally naked, with my midwife crouched over a toilet and scott practically in the shower in order to assist her. so obviously there was nobody to take photos of the birth itself and the few from after the birth are not album- or blog-friendly! since we had a home birth, we got to cuddle with mila in our bed in the hours following her birth and then the cutting of the cord, the newborn exam and all of that was done right there in our bed. the two images on the bottom of the left side are her getting checked out by our midwife, in our bed.

in mila's first week of life we took hundreds of photos of her. i tried to pick out those that make this week different than the ones that follow, like the first time she really opened her eyes and her in the arms of all my family members. if i really want more of her, then i'll go back and add an insert to hold a bunch of images.


the journaling // i'm currently working on writing up my birth story, both to share on this blog and to include in my album. once it's ready, i'll go back and add it to my album in its own page protector between this spread. for now i used two of the 3x4" spaces to record the facts. (the blur is our address.)

i included a list of the visitors that mila had this week and you'll see in future posts that it's something i continued to document throughout the first month of her life. i also recorded some of the nicknames we've been calling her.

one of my favorite pieces of the spread are the fill-in-the-blank journaling cards. i have totally accepted that while this album is the story of scott and i, it is told through me and therefore so much more a reflection of me than him. but this week, with the focus being on mila which scott is such a part of, it would be crazy to not have him contribute more. for the record, obviously loving up on mila is the easiest part of having a newborn! for some reason when i wrote my answers in, i was thinking the easiest of the so called "hard" parts, thus my answer.


the stuff // a home birth means there were no medical bracelets, no paperwork, medical memorabilia to include here, so i created a piece of my own: the print of mila's foot. my mom and i made the footprint on mila's third day of life. i just smeared acrylic paint on with my fingers and pressed her foot onto cardstock. i suppose ink would make a clearer print but i didn't want her foot to be dyed from it and the paint wiped right off with a damp paper towel.

this is another week wherein i'm so thankful for project life. in my new mama haze i would have never, ever sat down to make a "real" scrapbook layout. yet there was project life, beckoning and, let's be honest, guilting me with its 16 empty slots and now i have these little details captured forever.

/// project life is a simplified method of scrapbooking created by becky higgins. in 2013, i'm planning to create a spread for every week of the year. click here to see all my project life posts. ///

12 comments:

  1. congrats...she is just beautiful!! i guess i would be too scared to have my birth at home, but think it must be an amazing experience to do so! i had my son 4 years ago & i had to have a c section (there was no way he was coming) but even so i had a great experience as the staff at the hospital was amazing! i am new follower & enjoy seeing your project life posts! will you be doing a separate album for you baby girl or will you just be including it all into this one album?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi mindy! thank you for finding my blog and commenting. i'll actually be sharing a post about why i chose a home birth over a hospital birth and another post about our birth story. there is no right or wrong choice and of course a birth at home isn't always possible, but i like being so vocal about having a home birth just because i think a lot of women don't know it's an option for them or hasn't heard positive stories about them. similar as to why i'm so vocal about eating a primarily vegan diet - i just like to share my experiences in case it awakens in someone else that they may be happy doing the same. as for project life i will 100%, absolutely NOT be making a separate album for the baby! i don't have the desire to do so. for me it seems like it would take time and energy i don't have (or which i'd like to use toward other projects) so it doesn't seem like something i'd stick with or enjoy. plus, i like the idea that one album tells the story of our whole life. so you'll definitely see a lot of her in these posts throughout the year. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this spread. I honestly hate how my spread detailing my sons birth turned out. I'm not at all happy with it. I think I need to find some time to revamp or it will drive me crazy. It's too scattered and all over the place. But yours is just so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hate how the next two weeks turned out, so I completely understand! it's smart to just get it done so you don't have gaps that never get filled, but then let yourself go back and rework or completely redo if you want. good luck (and congrats again!)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jessica, firstly, congratiolations on becoming a Mom, pretty sure you'll love it. Secondly, I'm glad I discovered you on Pinterest. Love your PL pages, you have great style. (http://twosons.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy you're here and thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  4. Finally... a project life on homebirth!! LOVE! I had my two babes at home and I'm about to start the PL baby albums. So fun... love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay for fellow home birth mamas! i so wish i had been able to have photos of the labor and birth itself to include. maybe next time!

      Delete
  5. Congrats again Jessica! Mila is a doll! I love this spread of her entrance into the world and her first week. I think it's clever that you included both your and Scott's perspectives on Mila's arrival.

    Hope all is going well.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE THIS. cannot wait for the birth story!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely love this. really looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Mila is a real cutie. Love your PL spread about her birth. I wish it was around when my children were born.

    ReplyDelete